Have you been feeling under the weather–out of sorts? Here’s a reminder to get outside and go for a 30 minute walk during daylight hours twice a week. This is a article written by Sophia Mitrokostas. Some of the symptoms were pretty surprising:
1. Your last cold held on longer than usual. B and T immune cells have receptors for vitamin D. It helps regulate the immune response. Research here shows that defiency in vitamin D correlates with higher rates of sucumbing to pathogens or having an autoimmune response.
2. Feeling a bit blah now that the hours of sun are very few in number? Vitamin D can help lesson symptoms of depression or blues. And who knows, taking time to get some vitamin D may be another way to burn off those extra holiday calories. Maybe I can escape for a run before the they bring the cake out? Geese, I hope I don’t get amnesia.
3. Are you still tired after 7-8 hours of sleep? These signs include chronic fatigue and headaches.
4. Do you have an achy back? Vitamin D is needed to absorb calcium; calcium that could be used to keep your back maintained.
5. Do you get achy joints after working out? Again, vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium and magnesium.
5. Do you get painful or shaky muscles? Keep your nerve cells happy, particularly those nociceptors, which accept pain signals into the central nervous system. Absorb the magnesium you went out of your way to get to have healthy muscles and less charlie horses.
6. It’s rare that just low levels of vitamin D is causing hair thinning, but maybe part of it. It’s normal for hair to shed a bit more in the fall.
7. Trying to heal from a cut or bruise? Vitamin D helps the body produce the compounds needed to renew the skin. Balance is the key.
I really need to get outside and get some sun XD